Sunday 13 November 2011

48 hours with Skyrim. My pre-full length review notes.

I got this on the recommendation of deputy editor of Offical Xbox Magazine, Mike Channel, who can be found here http://twitter.com/#!/MikeChannell. He said that the first spell I would got be like a flamethrower, and to enjoy. So far, that sentence is so true it is unbelievable.

The first dragon you encounter is incredible and humongous, and by god I legged it. To be fair, I was about to be executed for reason I still do not understand. However I still legged it, despite being bound in my hands.

Other than the rather worrying start to the game so far I have found it enthralling, something that mister Channell did say about the game.

Even before the game I was amazed by the game of Skyrim, and I rarely play rpg's as they have never appealed to me, but on OXM Channel suggestion, even on opening the case, the map that comes with the game is amazing, feeling like a map from a couple hundred years ago, and looks amazing, my little sister have been warned that if they ruin it, they can go and buy me a new copy of the game.

Back to the game, and the sheer number of different races to play as straight away is quite staggering, it seems like there at least ten different races to play as, quite the selection straight up. The sheer size of Skyrim is staggering, I think I have explored about 10 percent of Skyrim in about 10-11 hours of gameplay.

There is a single minor fault me and a few mates have found with this game so far. That is it is far too easy to rank skills up like smithing and blocking as the same things level it up no matter whether for example you are level 1 or 71 in smithing, creating the same item gives you the same amount of points, or experince or whatever it is called in the game, which means it is far too easy to level those skills up. I levelled up my smithing skill about 7 levels last night when I noticed I had a megaton of leather and used it to create an iron dagger, levelling up rapidily. (iirc it took me making 3 iron daggers to level up)

Same goes for blocking for example, as taking on a simple enemy like a wolf for instance, just using a simple shield will stop most of the attacks you can face from a non-sword wielding enemy, and it is far too easy to just sit there and level up your blocking.

Back to the main focus of this game, the dragons. Bethesda have made them into such eloquent and magnificent beasts, while increasing the fear factor when you battle them, the first and only dragon battle I have encountered so far, started with me being personally BBQ's by said dragon. Then I went downstairs to find it, and luckily it came to me, and my double handed greatsword, which prompty went downtown on it, hacking at it furiously, until it fell down.

This game is incredible, so worth much more than one play in your lifetime.

Once I completed the game and had about 30 more hours to compile a worthy review like most sites and blogs on the web, I shall give you a full rundown.

Keep gaming and producing moments to be proudly displayed on this blog/site.

Regards,

1 comment:

  1. One of the keys to a balanced game is sticking to the character who want to build and ignoring the leveling bugs. For example play as a wizard and use no weapons at all, go paladin get yourself a nice set of armour but don't loot corpses, (outside of quest requirements).

    One of the beauties of this game is you are free to play how you'd like and there is no set path.

    ReplyDelete